Utilization of High Volume Fraction of Binary Combinations of Supplementary Cementitious Materials in the Production of Reactive Powder Concrete

Authors

  • Mohammed S. Nasr
    Affiliation

    Technical Institute of Babylon, Al-Furat Al-Awsat Technical University (ATU), 51015 Babylon, Iraq

  • Zaid A. Hasan
    Affiliation

    Technical Institute of Babylon, Al-Furat Al-Awsat Technical University (ATU), 51015 Babylon, Iraq

  • Mohammed K. Abed
    Affiliation

    Technical Institute of Babylon, Al-Furat Al-Awsat Technical University (ATU), 51015 Babylon, Iraq

  • Mohammed K. Dhahir
    Affiliation

    Department of Civil Engineering, College of Engineering, University of Al Qadisiyah, 58002 Diwaniya, Iraq

  • Wissam N. Najim
    Affiliation

    College of Water Resources Engineering, Al-Qasim Green University, 51013 Babylon, Iraq

  • Ali A. Shubbar
    Affiliation

    Department of Building and Construction Technical Engineering, College of Technical Engineering, The Islamic University, 54001 Najaf, Iraq

    Department of Civil Engineering, Liverpool John Moores University, Henry Cotton Building, Webster Street, Liverpool L3 2ET, UK

  • Zuhair D. Habeeb
    Affiliation

    Technical Institute of Babylon, Al-Furat Al-Awsat Technical University (ATU), 51015 Babylon, Iraq

https://doi.org/10.3311/PPci.16242

Abstract

The reactive powder concrete (RPC) is one of the special concrete types that characteristics with high cement content which means high production cost and CO2 emissions to the atmosphere. Therefore, to enhance the environment as well as to develop green RPC, alternatives to cement, such as supplementary cementitious materials (SCMs) were used. Limited studies addressed the use of a high volume fraction of SCMs as a binary combination in the production of RPC. Thus, this study aims to replace a high percentage of cement (50%) with binary combinations of silica fume (SF), type F fly ash (FA) and metakaolin (MK). The experimental program included two phases. In phase one, two groups (SF+FA and MK+FA) were cast without steel fibers. Based on group performance in the first phase, one group was chosen to be used with steel fibers in the second phase. The flow rate, compressive and flexural strengths, density, ultrasonic pulse velocity and dynamic modulus of elasticity tests were conducted. The phase one results showed that SF+FA combination mixtures had better performance than MK+FA mixtures thus they were selected to be used in the second phase (with the addition of 1% volumetric fraction micro steel fibers). Results indicated that it is possible to produce sustainable RPC in which the cement can be replaced with 30% SF and 20% FA (the total replacement is 50%) in the presence of 1% steel fibers with a remarkable enhancement in compressive strength and flexural strength reached up to 44% and 10%, respectively.

Keywords:

reactive powder concrete, cement replacement, supplementary cementitious materials, sustainability

Published Online

2020-11-16

How to Cite

Nasr, M. S., Hasan, Z. A., Abed, M. K., Dhahir, M. K., Najim, W. N., Shubbar, A. A., Habeeb, Z. D. “Utilization of High Volume Fraction of Binary Combinations of Supplementary Cementitious Materials in the Production of Reactive Powder Concrete”, Periodica Polytechnica Civil Engineering, 65(1), pp. 335–343, 2021. https://doi.org/10.3311/PPci.16242

Issue

Section

Research Article